Home is where the heart is, and for most of the people, it’s exactly where they feel most secure. Still for children, the home just isn’t as safer as you might believe. In truth, you may be alarmed to learn that 3.5 million children go to the E.R. each and every year for injuries that happen within homes.
Some parents are unintentionally putting their children in danger by making usual mistakes in the home. For instance, parents claim they are worried with regards to fire safety and 96 % record they have a smoke alarm system, still 14 percent never assess their smoke alert battery, according to “Report to the Nation: Protecting Children in Your Home,” from Safe Kids Worldwide and Nationwide.
“Parents just can’t think about a tragedy can happen to them, however it happens far too often,” says Kate Carr, president and CEO of Safe Kids Worldwide. “Sadly, 2,200 young children die from an accident at home each year. The best thing is that we know just how to avoid these kinds of injuries, and parents may take simple steps to protect their children.”
Safe Kids Worldwide teamed up with Nationwide and its Make Safe Happen program to aid families make kids harmless at home. “We know parents want to protect their kids,” said Terrance Williams, Nationwide’s Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer. “It’s our hope that just bringing this article to families as well as health care providers, we can assist them to protect what matters most.”
- Be sure that there’s a functioning smoke alarm system and carbon monoxide alarm system on each and every level of your home, particularly around sleeping places. Test out the batteries per month.
- Make and workout a home fire-escape tactic along with your family members. Learn two tactics out of every room in case there are a fire.
- Provide younger children your 100 % and undivided attention while they are in and around water. Simply 1 percent of parents list drowning as a concern, based on the Safe Kids report, yet each week a child dies from drowning in a tub.
- For younger children, use safety gates at the very top and also bottom of the steps, fixing them to the wall if it is possible.
- Always keep baby cribs free of toys and soft bed sheets, and be sure that babies sleep alone, lying on their backs and in a crib every time they sleep. For children under the age of 1, suffocation is considered the leading cause of injury-related death.
- Keep all medicine up as well as away, out of child’s reach and sight. Consider areas in which little ones get into medicine, like in purses and handbags, on counter tops as well as on nightstands.
- Save (blank) household cleansing agents, liquid laundry packets and other toxic products away from youngster’s reach and sight. Use cabinet locks for preventing younger children from engaging in products that may cause them harm.
- Store the Poison Help line number to your mobile phone and post it at home where anyone can find it easily in an emergency situation: 1-800-222-1222.
- Secure flat-panel Television by installing them to the wall and set box-style TVs on a low, firm furniture.
- Properly mount window guards or halts to help avoid falls from windows. Every year, 3,300 young children are harmed through falling out of a window; however 70 % of parents say they’ve never used window guards or stops that prevent these types of falls.
Tips for Keeping Your Home Safe This Holiday Season
Your Premier Miami Home Inspection Company | Let this experienced home inspector help keep you from buying The Money Pit. We’ll alert you to any and all health or safety issues and maintenance needs of the home you’re looking to buy.
Atlantic Building Inspections will be your home buying or selling advocate! We are committed to providing you with outstanding service. We’re highly experienced and extremely thorough. If you’re looking to buy or sell in the Miami area, we can help!
Owned and operated by home inspector and mold inspection specialist, Carlos Gonzalez. Carlos prides himself in being committed to following high standards and providing professional service to all of our customers .
We Want To Help Give You Confidence In Moving Forward On Your Home Buying Decisions!